Mr. Anil Bhandari, Chairman, has 47 years experience in the Hospitality industry. A graduate in Hotel Management from a Hoteliering Institute in New Delhi, India, he has a Certificate in Hotel Administration (CHA) from the Institute of American Hotel & Motel Association, USA, has done an Advanced Course in Hotel Management for specialization in many subjects of Hoteliering
from West Germany, and is a former Fellow of the Institute of Hospitality, London.
His work experience encompasses working in all departments of the hotel, from managing various hotels across the country on location to operating at the corporate level, and attained the position of Chairman-cum- Managing Director of the India Tourism Development Corporation. He is well connected and highly respected in the industry and government.
He specializes in turning around loss-making hotels into profitable ventures and in achieving increased turnovers. As Advisor to India’s best-managed hotel and travel company ITC Ltd., he was responsible for strategy formulation, corporate planning, finalizing future developments and effecting mergers and acquisitions of hotel properties.
He has done planning for many hotels all over India and abroad, has started over 15 hotels, managed and operated over 37 hotels, built 11 hotels, and designed kitchens for hotels (for the
Asian Games, where over 20,000 meals were served per day), managed prestigious events like the Non-Aligned Meet (where 91 Heads of State were present) as well as the Festival of India in the USA.
He has also managed India’s best travel management companies and duty-free shops, been on the Boards of leading hotel companies and premier industry forums in India such as the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry, PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Pacific Area Travel Association, Travel Agents Association of India, Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
He has won lots of laurels and awards both in India as well as overseas. He is passionate about promoting Indian cuisine and has instituted awards for eminent chefs with the objectives to award excellence, to honour chefs, to promote creativity among the chef community, and to encourage more people to join the profession.
A keen writer, his articles on the Indian travel and tourism scenario are published in a number of magazines. The articles offer suggestions to the industry and government for promotion of
Indian tourism. He is author of two books, one on Tourism and the other on Indian Cuisine.
- Set up JHM Interstate Hotels’ India operations.
- Responsible for setting up JHM Interstate Hotels’ India office as well as hiring the entire management team comprising
- Director – Operations
- Director – Finance
- Director – Human Resources
- General Manager – Technical & Projects
- General Manager – Food & Beverage as well as General Manager – Information Technology.
- Established the JHM Interstate brand in India and finalised contracts for management of six hotel properties located in Pune, Ahmedabad, Indore, Surat, Vishakhapatnam and Jaipur.
Managing Director of International Travel House Limited, New Delhi, from 1999 to 2008
International Travel House Limited (ITH), an associate company of ITC Limited, is the only multi-location ISO 9001 certified travel company in India. ITH has 37 offices pan-India and employs approximately 700 people directly. ITH is in the business of corporate travel, car rental, leisure travel, inbound & outbound travel, meeting incentive, conventions & exhibitions. ITH has received several prestigious awards as follows: Best Travel Agency India Award for three consecutive years from TTG Asia BTN China; the Good Business Ethics Award from PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry; and the Golden Peacock Award for good corporate governance.
- Responsible for the growth of the ITH business from an annual turnover of Rs. 145.7 crore in 1998 to Rs. 620 crore in 2008 with profit after tax of Rs. 10.54 crore, highest since the company’s inception.
- Responsible for the pan-India growth of ITH across service lines
- Creating and developing Travel House car rental brand “Travel House Cars a Safe Drive.”
Advisor – Travel, Tourism, Real Estate and Hotels – ITC Luxury Collection by Starwood and the Sheraton Welcome Group Hotels, New Delhi, from 1997 to 1999
- Responsible for growth & development of the ITC Group’s activities in the Hotel as well as the Travel and Tourism trade.
- Responsible for effecting mergers and acquisitions of hotel properties.
- Responsible for strategy formulation, corporate planning and finalising future development plans of the Hotel Division of Marriott in Delhi (presently Sheraton, Delhi).
Chairman and Managing Director of India Tourism Development Corporation Limited (ITDC) from 1992 to 1997
ITDC was India’s largest public sector hotel chain, with over 32 hotels across India. In addition, ITDC had its own travel division with 11 offices as well as a chain of 12 duty free outlets at international airports in India
- Responsible for effecting the turnaround of ITDC’s Hotel Division as well as the Travel Division from erstwhile loss-making to profit-making centres.
- Achieved a 126.3% increase in turnover from Rs. 139.60 crore in 1992 to Rs. 315.90 crore in 1997.
- Generated increased accumulated reserves, from Rs. 4.16 crore in 1992 to Rs.18 .9 crore in 1997.
- Generated 1341% increase in profit before tax (from Rs. 5.5 crore in 1991-92 to Rs. 79.3 crore in 1997).
- Generated a 1748.27% increase in profit after tax (from Rs. 2.90 crore in 1991-92 to Rs. 53.60 crore in 1997).
- Responsible for declaration of the highest-ever dividend of Rs 1.35 crore in 1997, the highest since inception at ITDC.
- Managed a workforce of 12,000 people.
- Adjudged ‘excellent’ every year as per the Memorandum of Understanding with the Government of India.
From 1987 to 1994 was appointed Managing Director of Hotel Corporation of India, the Centaur Group of Hotels, comprising four five-star deluxe hotels and 2 Flight Kitchens, each with a capacity of 10,000 meals a day
- Responsible for effecting the turnaround of HCI from a loss-making entity to a profit-making enterprise.
- HCI achieved a profit of Rs. 4.40 crore in 1994 from a loss of Rs. 4.70 crore in 1987.
- Managed a workforce of 1,700 people.
- Adjudged ‘excellent’ every year as per the Memorandum of Understanding with the Government of India.
- Additional responsibilities included (i) Director, Indo-Hokke Hotels (ii) Director, India Tea & Restaurants Limited and (iii) Member, Governor’s Board of Sher-e-Kashmir.
Vice-President (Operations) & General Manager of Ashok Group of Hotels, ITDC from 1983 to 1986
- Responsible for the management of all five-star hotels of the Ashok Group in New Delhi, as well as the Vigyan Bhavan Convention Centre and the Prime Minister’s Guesthouse as also State Banquets.
- Responsible for turning around all hotels from loss to profit-making ventures.
- Responsible for planning, execution and operation of the “Festival of India” in the USA and catering to 2,000 pax daily for seven days.
- Responsible for planning, organising, managing accommodation and catering for prestigious international mega events in India such as the New Delhi Asian Games in 1982 (catering 18,000 meals per day), and the Non-Aligned Meet attended by 91 Heads of States in New Delhi.
- General Manager for the following: Kanishka Hotel, Ranjit Hotel, Patliputra Ashok, Varanasi Ashok, Hyderabad House, Khajuraho Ashok, Bhubaneshwar Ashok and Bodhgaya Ashok.
From 1977 to 1983 was in the Hotels Division, ITDC
- Managed various hotels across country on location and from ITDC Corporate office.
- Responsible for undertaking negotiations of consultancy projects and facility planning for five-star hotels in India and abroad.
- Responsible for the successful planning, designing, execution and starting of hotels at tourist locations in India.
- Responsible for creating standard operational manuals for housekeeping, front office, food & beverage services, F&B production and room services.
- Worked at various positions in all departments of hotels such as Front Office, Housekeeping, Food & Beverage and Kitchen.
SENIOR POSITIONS HELD / MEMBERSHIPS
- Member, Board of Directors of the Pacific Area Travel Association (PATA)
- Member, Governing Council of Institute Of Marketing Management (IMM)
- Vice-Chairman, Governing Body of the Standing Conference of Public Enterprises (SCOPE)
- Chairman, Expert Committee set up to consider norms & standards for Diploma Courses in Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- Member, International Hoteliers Association (IHA)
- Member, World Tourism Organization (WTO)
- Member of Council of Delhi School of Business
- Member, Board of Directors of Ansal Marriott Hotels, New Delhi
- Member, Board of Directors of Metropolitan Hotels, New Delhi
- Member, Board of Directors of Landbase India Limited
- Member, Board of Directors of Le Meridian Hotel, Chennai
- Executive Committee Member of Federation of Indian Chamber Of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)
- Executive Committee Member of PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry (PHDCCI)
- Executive on the Board of Foundation for Aviation & Sustainable Tourism
- Member, World Travel & Tourism Council
- Member, Management Committee of Delhi Public Schools in Delhi & Indore
- Member, National Tourism Advisory Council, Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India
- Member, Ministry of Tourism Taskforce to set up Culinary Institute of India
- Member, Advisory Board, Indian Trust for Rural Heritage and Development (ITRHD)
- Member, (INTACH)
- Member, Board of Studies, School of Hospitality & Tourism, Jagran LakeCity University, Bhopal
- Member Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI)
- Member and on Advisory Council of Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry (ASSOCHAM)
- Co-Chairman of Tourism Committee of PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry (PHDCCI)
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Industrial Excellence Award, 1992 for outstanding contribution and achievement in the Travel and Tourism Industry
- ‘Man of the Year’ Award,’ 1994 for contribution to tourism development in the country by the Industrial Exhibition Committee
- ‘Udyog Rattan’ Award for contribution to the development of the tourism industry by the Institute of Economic Studies
- Award of Honour for Meritorious Contribution to the Hotel Industry, 2004 by the Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi
- ‘Life Time Achievement’ Award, 2005 by Hospitality India
- ‘Best Travel Agency – India’ Award by TTG Asia for three consecutive years
- ‘Ethics is Good Business’ Award by PHD Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Golden Peacock Award for Good Corporate Governance
- Lifetime Achievement Award 2016 by Hotelier India
AUTHOR OF TWO BOOKS
Tourism in India – An economic activity’ Book covers entire gamut of tourism in India, which includes history of Indian Tourism with details of tourism products like our rich culture, heritage, palaces, forts, temples, natural assets, namely sun, sea and sand, snow-covered mountains, wildlife, forests, handicrafts, dance, music, festivals and food etc.
Other related information comprises: Information on the tourist infrastructure; ITDC and state tourism development corporations; Tourism Educational Institutions; Hotel Industry; Classification of Hotels; Process of tourism planning; Financial allocations from the Planning Commission; How those funds were utilized as well as Information on Tourist Service Providers
‘Top Chefs Top Recipes’ Highlights recipes from various States of India, showcasing recipes of some dishes served to visiting Presidents, Prime Ministers and other dignitaries at banquets hosted during the author’s three-year tenure at Ashok Hotel and Hyderabad House in New Delhi.
A connoisseur of good food, he developed an appreciation of cuisines of various countries during his travels all over the world. A keen promoter of the cause of popularizing Indian food internationally, the book is his way of complimenting the cream of India’s culinary experts, the Master Chefs.
CONTRIBUTION TO TRADE PUBLICATIONS
Continues to contribute a large number of articles to Indian Hospitality and the Tourism industry publications.The articles research, review and analyze the state of affairs of the Indian Tourism scenario, popularization of Indian Cuisine internationally and offer suggestions to promote the surfeit of rich products in order to popularize Indian Tourism.
PROMOTION OF INDIAN CUISINE
- Keen promoter of Indian Cuisine and the cause of Chefs.
- Successfully campaigned for honouring eminent chefs with national awards such as Padma Shri.
- Instituted the Chef Awards event and currently Chairman of its Organizing Committee.
- Chef Awards an event organized to honour deserving chefs annually by the Indian Culinary Forum.
- The Chef Summit, part of the Indian Culinary Forum, invites renowned chefs who deliberate on various subjects. Event is attended by renowned Chefs and eminent members of the Hospitality industry.
ROLE IN SETTING UP OF INDIAN CULINARY INSTITUTE
- Played a crucial role in planning and setting up of the Indian Culinary Institute for the purpose of teaching, research and standardization of India’s large variety of regional cuisine
- Wants upcoming Indian Culinary Institutes at NOIDA and Tirupati be used for conducting research, documentation and standardization of Indian dishes.
- Promotion to lead to recognition nationally and internationally, giving Indian Cuisine a Brand identity and help Culinary Institutes & Hotel Management Institutes in teaching of upcoming chefs.
- Also help promote authentic Indian cuisine across the world.
A-59, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
Mobile: +91 981 01 70345